March 2014 reads

>> Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Fewer books than usual, and not much romance, but I did enjoy my reading this month.


1 - The Vor Game, by Lois McMaster Bujold: A-
review coming soon

Audiobook. I'm still very early in the Vorkosigan series, but I'm loving the books so much that I'm doling them out to myself like a total miser, no more than one a month. This is the 2nd full-length Miles book, and covers what happens right after his graduation as a Barrayaran officer. Obviously, this being Miles, things go to hell pretty quickly. Loved it.


2 - The Circle, by Dave Eggers: A-
review coming soon

Audiobook. A satirical look at social media, technology and privacy. Scarily plausible. You can argue that some of it was a bit heavy-handed, but it still worked for me perfectly. We read this for my book club, and I'd highly recommend it for that purpose. The discussion was really enjoyable.


3 - Alien Taste, by Wen Spencer: B+
original review here

Reread of an old favourite, one of the few UF-type books I've liked. Ukiah and his partner Max usually only work on missing people cases. Their latest case, which gets them involved in some seriously weird killings, reveals some surprising things about Ukiah's unique abilities. Love the characters.


4 - Special Interests, by Emma Barry: B
review coming soon

The hero is a senior aide to a pre-eminent senator, the heroine works as a labour organiser. I loved the detailed look at what working in politics might be actually like, and liked the romance.


5 - The Surgeon's Lady, by Carla Kelly: B-
review here

A lady and a 'common surgeon' fall in love while working in a navy hospital during the Napoleonic wars. I loved the hospital stuff, but thought the romance fizzled out.


6 - Amber, Furs and Cockleshells, by Anne Mustoe: DNF
review coming soon

Non fiction, subtitled "Bike Rides with Pilgrims and Merchants". The areas the author was biking through sounded great, but the writing style was very boring.


7 - To Darkness and to Death, by Julia Spencer-Fleming: still reading
review coming soon

Mystery, part of the Rev. Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series. The plot concerns the search for a young woman who has disappeared the very day she was supposed to sign over a big swathe of land to a conservation group. Not liking it very much, so far my least favourite in the series.


8 - The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey: still reading
review coming soon

YA, post-alien invasion. Grim and bleak and really absorbing. No idea where it's going, and I love that.

2 comments:

Barb in Maryland 1 April 2014 at 22:52  

Squee! Another Ukiah Oregon fan. I loved those books and was really bummed when the author said there would be no more. I've tried several of her later books and just couldn't connect.

Rosario 2 April 2014 at 06:35  

They're great, aren't they? I read only the first 3 and it's been a while, so I'm rereading them before I read book 4.

I tried another of hers, A Brother's Price, and had the same experience as you.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP