March 2014 wish list

>> Friday, February 28, 2014

A few interesting ones, but my wish lists have been a bit sparse the last few months.

Books I'm definitely planning to get


Carolina Man, by Virginia Kantra (Mar 4)

I enjoyed the first in the series, which reminded me of some of Nora Roberts trilogies (a bit like the Chesapeake Bay trilogy, I thought).




The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier (Mar 11)

The heroine is a scholar in search of the Amazons. That’s all I need to know.





Sweet Disorder, by Rose Lerner (Mar 18)

I've heard really good things about this one. It’ll sound a bit weird, but the fact that there seems to be a good bit of local politics here is quite appealing to me.





Shadow Spell, by Nora Roberts (Mar 25)

Second in the Cousins O'Dwyer series. I thought the first one was pretty crap, but this is Nora, so she can turn it around.



Books that interest me and I'll keep an eye on


City of Jasmine, by Deanna Raybourn (Mar 1)

After reading Bill Bryson's One Summer, I love the idea of a story set in the aviation world in the 1920s, especially when the aviator is an aviatrix. Plus, it's set in Damascus!





The Jade Temptress, by Jeannie Lin (Mar 3)

I must say, I didn't love the first book I read by this author (which happens to be the first in this series), but it's not like there's a glut of historical romances set in China, so I'll be trying Jeannie Lin again.




Four Years Later, by Monica Murphy (Mar 4)

I'm kind of embarrassed to put this on my wish list, as the 1st person blurb is cringe-worthy. I've been meaning to try this author, though.





Forever’s Promise, by Farrah Rochon (Mar 18)

I like Rochon's books. They're not standouts, but they're really dependable and consistently good.





Fool Me Twice, by Meredith Duran (Mar 25)

Similarly to the Nora Roberts above, I DNFd the last Meredith Duran I tried, by I generally like her books, so I'll probably give this one a shot.

7 comments:

Marg 1 March 2014 at 00:03  

I am excited by the Deanna Raybourn but like you not so much the Nora Roberts. Totally agreed that the first one was crap!

Fernande,  1 March 2014 at 02:37  

I'm also looking forward to Carolina Man and will check out some of the others you mentioned. But am also very much looking forward to the March release of Anne Bishop's Murder of Crows (sequel to Written In Red), Patricia Briggs' Night Broken, and Elly Griffiths' Outcast Dead. The latter is the most recent in her Ruth Galloway series, which, again, are wonderful as audio books.

Rosario 1 March 2014 at 07:32  

Marg: I'm still liking her single titles (although the last was good, but not great) and her In Deaths, so this one might yet be good. I can't say I was particularly interested in what I saw of the hero and heroine in book 1, though.

Fernande: I don't think I've ever read Anne Bishop. Is Written in Red a good place to start? Because it sounds interesting. Although, is it urban fantasy? That genre doesn't tend to work for me (which is why I never continued to read Patricia Briggs). I did listen to the first in the Ruth Galloway series and enjoyed it. I actually have book 2 in my audio TBR, should get to it soon.

Fernande,  1 March 2014 at 16:08  

Written in Red was my first Anne Bishop, so when I loved it I tried her earlier books, but just couldn't get into them. I know WIR is described as urban fantasy, but I'd say it's more fantasy than urban...similar in flavour perhaps to Ilona Andrews' Edge series. WIR has intriguing world building, interesting and very likable characters, good suspense and lots of dry humour. I hope you'll give it a try.

Rosario 2 March 2014 at 09:15  

Fernande: That's good enough for me! :)

CD,  8 March 2014 at 05:23  

I haven't yet read WIR but Anne Bishops' BLACK JEWELS books are "an acquired" taste. Basically, they are utterly ridiculous and extremely campy, although I'm pretty certain that last is unintentional. They have male sex slaves who prance around in tight leather trousers, if that gives you an idea.

However, even more so than the Black Dagger Brotherhood, it's a guilty pleasure and ticks all the usual female fantasy tropes of hot dangerous men being inexplicably drawn to Mary Sues. It's ridiculous enough to be very entertaining but a little goes a very very long way.

CD,  8 March 2014 at 05:27  

Oh, I've got the JADE TEMPTRESS and NIGHT BROKEN on my TBR pile. I think I probably liked THE LOTUS PALACE more than you (although I thought the HEA was rather unlikely) and I eat up every Mercy Thompson book like sweets...

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP