July wish list

>> Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm the organised type, the sort of person who adores spreadsheets. I carry that over to my reading and book-buying, and have a running wish list, where I keep track of books I'm definitely getting in each month, as well as books that have caught my eye and I might buy if the reviews are good. This is what I've got for July:

Books I'm definitely planning to get



Ravishing the Heiress, by Sherry Thomas (Jul 3)

Thomas is an autobuy author for me, and I've just finished and absolutely adored Beguiling The Beauty, the first in this series. There is quite a lot there setting up RTH, and though I wasn't crazy about what I've seen thus far (hero and heroine have been in an unconsummated marriage of convenience for years, she's in love with him, he's apparently in love with someone else and has been having affairs with other women throughout), I trust Thomas enough to think there might be more there than meets the eye, and that even if there isn't, she's such a good writer that she'll make me like it anyway!




The Great Escape, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Jul 10)

I haven't read Call Me Irresistible yet (I really have to be in the right mood to stomach an SEP heroine treated unfairly and humiliated by a whole town), but this one sounds like I might be able to read it more easily, and possibly without the need to catch up first, even though the two are related.







The Bride Wore Pearls, by Liz Carlyle (Jul 31)

The last couple of books by Carlyle have been disappointing, and I'm not too hot on her addition of the paranormal (including a secret society!) to her historicals, but she's written such amazing books before that I live in hope.




Books that interest me and I'll keep an eye on




Fire Kissed, by Erin Kellison (Jul 1) - Heroine sounds like some sort of paranormal mercenary. Haven't read Kellison before, but have heard good things. Not sure if it stands alone, though?





God Save The Queen, by Kate Locke (Jul 3) - Steampunk, 1st in a series. The description reminded me a little bit of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series.





Off the Menu, by Stacey Ballis (Jul 3) - Purely because of the heroine's job: she works behind the scenes in the restaurant industry, as the culinary assistant of a celebrity chef. There seems to be some sort of love triangle there, as well.





The Darkest Day, by Britt Bury (Jul 3) - Just because Jane said it reads a bit like Kresley Cole's early Immortals After Dark books, which I really like.





The End of Everything, by Megan E. Abbott (Jul 7) - The premise of a 13-year-old girl investigating the disappearance of her friend interested me. Also, it doesn't sound like YA (I don't read much of that).





Shadow of Night, by Deborah Harkness (Jul 10) - I still haven't read the first one, A Discovery of Witches, but I have it, and I mean to.





Forever a Lady, by Delilah Marvelle (Jul 24) - A heroine who's a rich widow with a deteriorating reputation, a hero who's a "mysterious, Irish-American gang leader", according to the summary. Sounds interesting!





Haven, by Kay Hooper (Jul 31) - This is "a Bishop/SCU Novel". I read a few of them a while back and liked them. I'm not quite sure why I haven't read Hooper for a while, it might be time to see what she's up to.





Can’t Hurry Love, by Molly O’Keefe (Jul 31) - Can't remember who it was who mentioned on twitter that they'd loved this one and O'Keefe's June 26th release, Can't Buy Me Love. I've liked this author (before, and the reviews of Can't Buy Me Love have been so good that I've already bought it, so I'll probably be getting this one as well.





Night Forbidden, by Joss Ware (Jul 31) - More taking note that the 5th book in the series is out, than anything else. I've got the first one still to read, quite like the idea of post-apocalyptic paranormal romance.

6 comments:

nath 30 June 2012 at 12:13  

Very nice list, Rosario! There are so many releases in July, it's going to be fun, fun, fun!!!

I have Off the Menu as well. It does sound good right? I really like the sound of the blurb, hopefully, the book will be good!

Haven! Haven! I'm so excited for that one :) One reason why you might not have read her in the last couple of years is because she has not had any release. I think her last FBI book came out in 2009-2010...

God Save The Queen has a very interesting cover. However, I have no fully made the jump into steampunk...

Rosario 1 July 2012 at 07:33  

I know, it's a particularly good month!

Off The Menu does sound like really good fun, but you just don't know, do you? I'll wait to see a few reviews before I buy, I think (there are none so far).

Re: Hooper, I think my last was even longer ago than that, more like late 90s, when the first few SCU books came out. I was thinking of rereading and planning to start with the first one, Stealing Shadows. If you've read all these, does this sound like the right place to start?

I haven't really read all that much steampunk, either, only Meljean Brook's. I liked those so much that I really want to read more, though!

nath 1 July 2012 at 13:14  

I know! You can't know if it's good or not, but you know what? I fear there won't be much reviews for Off the Menu. Sounds fun, but not sure it'll be very popular. It kind of straddles two genres and it's trade and an author I've never heard. Maybe I'll just take the plunge...

Ohhhh, yeah in that case, you're far behind :) Stealing Shadows is the first of the series, so yeah, definitively a good place to start :)

I enjoyed The Iron Duke okay, so I'm in no hurry to pick this one up. Will wait for your review!

Rosario 2 July 2012 at 06:40  

Nath, I think you might be right, maybe some reviews on amazon or goodreads, but that'll probably be it. If you do read it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Darlynne,  4 July 2012 at 18:09  

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on The Darkest Day. The price is certainly reasonable, but I'm feeling gun-shy these days, especially with so many known-to-me authors putting things out.

I enjoyed the first Witches book and have the second on hold at the library.

Rosario 5 July 2012 at 07:01  

Darlynne: Hmm, weird, I can't find it on amazon now. Wonder what's going on...

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP