>> Monday, December 30, 2002

Reckless was a good one, though not as good as Ravished. A B+

My basic problem was Gabriel. He was likeable, but he was a teeny bit too high-handed for me. I just can't tolerate heroes who try to dictate to their wives / girlfriends what to do, and Gabriel was one of them. He does reform (after a fashion) in the end, but it was a turn-off. My other quibble with him probably stems from having just read Ravished, where Gideon is crazy in love with Harriet. I just didn't feel that level of emotion in Gabriel.

He did have some redeeming qualities, though. I especially appreciated how he quickly abandoned his plans for vengeance (and good that he did: I don't really see the reasoning behind blaming a child for her parents' sins) and how he actually accepted that Clarington had had good reasons to do what he did all those years before. His relationship with Clarington and Anthony was very enjoyable after that.

Phoebe I liked. I liked her romantic nature, with a mind filled with notions of chivalry and honor, a nature hidden behind great practicality and good business sense. I found her being Gabriel's publisher a nice subplot. And I loved her pragmatism, especially when she'd impulsively ran away and then after thinking things through decided she'd been wrong and should go back.

The theme running through this book, medieval ideals and manuscripts, was great. It lead to an enjoyable tension between Phoebe, who tried to cast every one of Gabriel's actions into that mold, and Gabriel trying to disabuse her of that notion and convince her that he wasn't a medieval knight.

The suspense subplot was more interesting than most, and I liked the character of Alice, and how she got what she deserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP