>> Thursday, August 29, 2002

I finished Acting on Impulse last night, and it was great, an A.

This one was exactly what I thought Blazes were supposed to be like. Plus, this is one of my favourite storylines, but it's very easy for an author to screw it up, which thankfully, the author didn't do.

Trudy really rang true for me, and enjoyed her imagination very much. And Linc was really lovely, a nice guy, completely beta, and with some vulnerabilities. I appreciated that we could actually see Trudy and Linc falling in love with each encounter, and none of these were just gratuitous sex scenes: each added a layer to their personalities. In other Blazes, I've found that the authors tend to go a bit overboard with sex scene after sex scene, and they get a bit boring after a time. Not here. And the scene were they broke up was heartwrenching, and the final scene was really romantic and moving. The part in Virtue... not so good. I don't need to be hit over the head with how caring and what a good father a guy is. But it was good to see Trudy conclude that, though she loves Virtue, she doesn't want to live there; she much prefers the big city. The city was almost a character in this book, BTW, and I thought it was great to see a romance celebrating life in the Big Apple and not equating it with evil!

I loved Trudy's relationship with Meg. Romance heroines so often don't have a girlfriend with whom to share and dish about men. It was nice to see differently here.

My only problem with this book was Meg herself. She was incredibly irritating. When I first started I was sure that she and Tom must have been characters in another book, and I wanted to read it. After finishing it, I don't think I want to read it after seeing her being so arrogant and condescending.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP